Peace Education Day 2021
Peace Education Day 2021
The conference spotlighted the success of peace education in transforming lives of individuals and communities around the world, even in the face of the pandemic, violence and climate change.
Here are some recordings from last year’s Peace Education Day
Michael Nouri, Host.
Inaugural address by
- Ambassador Anwarul Chowdhury, Founder of the Global Movement for the Culture of Peace and former Under Secretary-General of the United Nations.;
- Frederico Mayor Zaragoza, Chairman of the Foundation for a Culture of Peace and former UNESCO Director-General.;
- Professor Tony Jenkins, Managing Director of the International Institute of Peace Education (IIPE), Coordinator of the Global Campaign for Peace Education (GCPE); President Emeritus of the National Peace Corps Association, former President of the Alliance for Peacebuilding;
- Prem Rawat, Founder of The Prem Rawat Foundation, and the Peace Education Program;
- Dr. Stephane Monney Mouandjo, Director-General of the African Training and Research Centre in Administration for Development (CAFRAD).
This group includes a panel on
Partnerships & Collaborations moderated by
- Willow Baker, Program Director of The Prem Rawat Foundation’s Peace Education Program, Ambassador for Institute for Economics and Peace, Chairperson, Rotary International Peacebuilder Club with
- Alberto Ovando Martinez, Legal Advisor, Private Secretary, Executive Secretary of the State Public Security System, Quintana Roo, Mexico;
- Reverend Canon Petero Sabune, an immigrant and refugee advocate, former Chaplain at Sing Sing Correctional Facility and former African Partnership Officer for the Episcopal Church.
This section highlights peace and music education by the Playing for Change Foundation..
This section includes
Elena Valcarcel, General Manager, Málaga Club of UNESCO, and Vice-President, Spanish Federation of UNESCO Associations and Clubs,
Professor Beena Chintalapuri, Unnati Program, Telengana Prisons, India, Professor Emeritus of Psychology, Osmania University, Hyderabad;
Leonie Small, retired inmate coordinator Atlanta Federal Penitentiary;
Judge Denny Chin, Senior Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, New York City, President, Re-entry through Intensive Supervision and Employment (RISE) Court, a voluntary program assisting in the successful re-entry of certain at-risk individuals on supervised release and produced a series of trial reenactments to educate audiences about human rights;
Justice Lamberto Cisneras Rocha, a lawyer, university professor, former Minister of the Supreme Court and the Qualifying Court of Elections in Chile. His most recent book is: Electoral Processes and Electoral Justice in Chile.
This section includes
- Kehkeshan Basu Founder/President, Green Hope Foundation, Climate Reality Mentor, Former Global Coordinator for Children and Youth, UNEP MGFC, and a UN Human Rights Champion moderating a panel on Climate, Crises and Ecosystems;
- Alexander Laszlo, PhD, President of the Bertalanffy Center for the Study of Systems Science (BCSSS), Director of Research at the Laszlo Institute of New Paradigm Research (Vice-President for Education of Unity Foundation and Chief Edunaut of the Evolutionary Learning Ecosystems program in Argentina;
- Monica Willard, United Religions Initiative, the main URI representative to the United Nations.
- Suzanne Midori Hanna, PhD, MFT Marriage and family therapist and prolific author focusing on underserved groups, evidence-based practice, integrative behavioral health, relational neuroscience, and media development for core competencies in family therapy;
- María Francisca Cortés Solari, a Chilean businesswoman, philanthropist, conservationist, founder of Filantropía Cortés Solari (FCS), a philanthropic project that promotes the Sustainable Development Goals through science, education and conservation, in a context of climate crisis.
This section features
- Dot Maver, Founder of the National Peace Academy, of the Global Alliance for Ministries and Infrastructures of Peace and of the River Phoenix Center for Peacebuilding;
- Bill Miller, Founder/CEO/moderator of “Global Connections Television”;
- Dr. Kozue Akibayashi, feminist researcher/activist and professor at Graduate School of Global Studies, Doshisha University in Kyoto, Japan, and past president of Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom;
- Melissa Jun Rowley, writer, television producer and entrepreneur, a journalist who covers frontier tech, gender issues, and international development; Jim Chu, Founder, and CEO of Untapped Global, reshaping profitable investing in frontier markets;
- Mira Binzen, Founder of Global Family Yoga. She holds a degree in Child Psychology from The University of Minnesota’s Institute of Child Development, with specialized study in Communication Disorders, She uses yoga as a tool for transformation; and a panel moderated by ;
- Darlene Shelton, PhD, community and media psychologist, Founder and Executive Producer of PeaceChannel.com; featuring
- Tucker Robbins, who created thriving artisan workshops in Guatemala, Philippines, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, and Cameroon. Supporting indigenous cultures, he partners with tribal chiefs, Arabian sheikhs, and village artisans to make sustainable furniture with its own life and spirit;
- Zolaykha Sherzad, Founder and creative designer of Zarif Design collaborating with Afghan women to adapt traditional Afghan cuts and textiles to modern design, founding member of the School of Hope (SoH), which enables children to receive an education in Afghanistan;
- Avon Mattison, Co-founder and President/Steward of Pathways To Peace, an UN-designated Peace Messenger Organization, with UN Consultative Status (ECOSOC). She was an advisor to the UN on the International Day of Peace.
In order to build a culture of peace on a healthy planet, the Global Peace Education Network connects peace educators and communities, advocates peace education policies and programs, and campaigns for an official United Nations Global Peace Education Day.
© 2022 Global Peace Education Network LLC